Saturday, September 12, 2009

Fight, Fight, Rah, Team Fight!

That's right - I'm a proud Michigan State Spartan married to a University of Michigan Wolverine. We live in enemy territory, er... Ann Arbor and, in fact, we don't live far from the Big House. Because of our close proximity, game days are a big deal around the Cheeks household. Our home is kinda like an Open House on football Saturdays... friends needing a free place to park, wandering in and out before and after the game.

I keep plenty of food and drink on hand - a lot of people bring a little something to contribute, but we have plenty for everyone. It can add up $ wise over the course of the season, but I love having people in my home and the atmosphere is always festive.

The UofM vs. Notre Dame game doesn't start until 3:30pm, but I'm anticipating some folks will start showing up around noon to graze on food, have a few beers and watch the noon games. Today they will have to watch only ONE noon game - my beloved Spartans kicking the crap out of the Central Michigan Chippewas. (yeah, yeah... they're a MAC school, but they are feisty!)

Everyone will clear out to walk down to the stadium for the UofM game and I will enjoy the blissful quiet for a few hours until they all find their way back to my door. I'll feed them a little more, listen to the debates about why Rich Rod sucks or doesn't suck, the crying about how the refs unfairly penalize Michigan (*insert eye roll*) and watch some of the late games. (Go Trojans!!!)

I love football Saturdays.

Ooooh, have I mentioned that I was a band geek in high school? Both Symphonic and Marching Band. *happy sigh* So here's the MSU Marching Band performing at the Big House. I get goosebumps watching the running entrance, the drum major planting the plume, seeing that big block S appear and hearing my fight song kick off. Go Green, Go White!

2 comments:

  1. That's pretty awesome. I wish I liked more USC fans, my family are all Bruins so if I'm not watching alone I'm watching in less than friendly environs.

    I am torn today, the two whiniest most obnoxious fan bases are playing each other. Is there a way BOTH can lose ;-)

    I like feisty. Or is that fisty? I'm confused and I haven't even started drinking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a band geek too! I have a soft spot in my heart for marching bands... that was pretty cool... I love how the S just formed outta no where... yep.. pretty damn cool.

    ReplyDelete